FBA Packaging requirements does not sound like a big deal. However, if there is a small issue in this process, it is likely to disrupt your overall pace of your Amazon sales.
Why does FBA packaging requirements matter?
FBA has obvious advantages in helping sellers manage inventory, bring in traffic, improve search rankings, win shopping carts, and optimize supply chains. At the same time, sellers have to understand FBA policy and grasp the changes in order to reduce the risk of shipment rejection, save warehousing costs, and smoothly send in cargo in the peak season.
Here are a few more reasons why you need to pay attention to Amazon packaging:
- Amazon returns inadequate FBA shipments
- Bad packaging can result in damaged products
- Improper packaging can damager relationship with Amazon
- Overpackaging is a waste of material and money…and hurt the environment
- You don’t want to be featured on the “Packaging fail subreddit”
- Poor packaging can negatively impact your ratings
Today, let’s take a look at the FBA packaging requirements.
Important Rules of FBA Packaging Requirements
The following is the list of rules for cargo packaging that we believe is the most important ones in our operation:
- Use a six-sided rigid packing box with a complete lid. Your cargo will go a long way from your manufacturer to FBA warehouse. We sometimes see the cargo box does not even make it to the container.
- Each box in the shipment must have its own FBA shipment label (printed from the “shipment plan”).
- If your cargo is palletized, each pallet requires four labels, one on each side of the top center position.
- When using a large cardboard box to send multiple original packaging products to the Amazon fulfillment center, please affix a unique shipment label on the large cardboard box used to transport the product.
- If you use used boxes, remove all old shipment labels or other markings.
- Use strong adhesive tape specially designed for distribution. It doesn’t hurt to wrap a few more layers.
- After packing the box, shake it gently. When shaking, the contents of the box should not move.
- The goods packaged in a carton should normally only contain one PO order. If a carton contains goods from multiple PO orders, make sure that one carton can only involve at most 5 PO orders.
- The weight of the carton package is no more than 22.5kg (50 lbs). If the weight of a single piece of merchandise exceeds 22.5kg (50 lbs), post a clearly posted “Team Lift” label on the carton, indicating that a team is required to operate. For box exceeds 45kg (100 pounds), the label of “Mech Lift” needs to be clearly posted on the carton, indicating that the machine is required to operate.
- The weight of the carton containing jewelry and watches cannot exceed 18kg (40 pounds).
- The size of any side of the carton shall not exceed 63.5cm, unless the size of the single item sold exceeds 63.5cm.
- If the size of any side of the carton exceeds 63.5cm, then the carton needs to be placed on a 1m x 1.25m pallet, unless the size of the carton of a single product sold exceeds the size of the standard pallet.
- The carton and packaging materials (such as liners, fillers) must fully protect the goods during transportation. If packaging materials that are not accepted by the Amazon fulfillment center are used to package the goods, the goods will be rejected or additional packaging fees will be charged.
- Use large-sized cushions, such as air pillows, whole sheets of paper, foam paper or bubble film, and do not fill them with loose materials.
- Choosing the size of the carton is to ensure that the carton has the least free space after the goods are placed. Space utilization can also be maximized by packing multiple commodities in a carton (provided that the commodities are not damaged). The picture is an example of poor carton packaging.
- Carton boxes cannot be bound with packing straps, elastic bands, and adhesive tapes. Do not use large staples or nylon fiber tape because they pose a safety hazard to the warehouse colleagues.
- Multiple cartons that are to be sold as a bundle weighing more than 45 kg must be placed on a single pallet (one product for sale corresponds to one pallet).
- Carton goods sold in a single piece (such as furniture) weigh more than 45 kg and need to be palletized. Pallet-sized boxes (also called “Gaylord”) are not allowed.
- Do not use point-of-sale containers that are commonly used to display goods (such as front-open boxes or boxes without lids).
Fail to comply with FBA packaging requirements, product preparation requirements, safety requirements, and restrictions may result in the Amazon fulfillment center rejecting, discarding, or returning your inventory, prohibiting you from sending shipments to the Amazon fulfillment center in the future. Amazon fulfillment center may also charge additional fees for pre-processing services or your non-compliance.
We recommend the following FBA packaging materials:
- Bubble film packaging
- Complete paper (preferably heavy kraft paper)
- Inflatable air pillow
- Polyethylene foam plastic board
Do not use the following packaging materials
- Various types of small pieces of packaging foam, including foam strips
- Wrinkled paper packaging
- Shredded paper
Finally, there is a practical suggestion for everyone. Use boxes with dimensions of at least 6 inches x 4 inches x 1 inch and a weight of at least 1 pound, but no more than 25 inches on any side and weighing less than 50 pounds to reduce reception delays!
At ForwarderOne, we try to make sure all of our client’s cargo meets the requirements before sending them out.